The 2018 One Shot Turkey Hunt
Save The Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018
As we look forward to the 4th Annual Old Dominion One Shot Fundraiser, we are thankful for our hunters, landowners, guides, and sponsors, and to this unique partnership between the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) and The Wildlife Foundation of Virginia (WFV). The One Shot also provides opportunities to connect with others during the Guide Dinner and Guide/Hunter Gathering at Bass Pro Shops, and the Dinner/Auction in downtown Richmond. Collectively, we are working together to promote the hunting heritage.
Over the last 4 years, One Shot funds have supported connecting youth to the outdoors through The Virginia Wildlife Grant Program and The Wildlife Foundation of Virginia has supported youth and Wounded Warriors hunt programs in Albemarle and Pittsylvania counties.
A portion of the proceeds from the 2017 One Shot were used to acquire approximately 800 acres in Gloucester County, locally known as the Guinea Marsh. This property will soon be open for public access, and will provide hunting opportunities and increased boating access to the Chesapeake Bay.
In 2018, revenue from the One Shot will continue to support youth and Wounded Warrior hunting opportunities. If you are interested in sponsoring a youth or Wounded Warrior, providing land to hunt, guiding, hunting, or a sponsorship, please contact Jenny West at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-880-2362 (mobile).
- March 23, 2018: Youth Essay Submission Deadline
- April 9, 2018: Deadline - Hunter Registration
- April 12, 2018: Guide Dinner, 5–7 PM, at Bass Pro Shops – Ashland (attendance required)
- April 20, 2018: Hunter/Guide Dinner, 4–7 PM, at Bass Pro Shops – Ashland (attendance required)
- April 21, 2018: The Hunt; Weigh-In at Bass Pro Shops - Ashland; Richmond Evening Celebration at NewMarket Pavilion, 330 South 4th Street, Richmond
If you are attending the One Shot event and require overnight lodging, please click on the link below:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Ashland ($93 USD per night)
- Book your group rate for VA One Shot
- Last day to book: 4/12/18
2017 One Shot - A Look Back
The 2017 3rd Annual Old Dominion One Shot Turkey Hunt is in the bag and so are the turkeys—it was record setting! There were a total of 48 hunters and the most ever youth hunters—18 including our youth essay winners. The hunt also included 7 wounded warriors—another record. The last record goes to the turkeys—11 harvested! Read more »
Grand Slam - $10,000
Eastern - $5,000
Osceola - $2,500
There are many sponsorship opportunities associated with the Old Dominion One Shot Turkey Hunt.Become a Sponsor
Be paired up with an experienced, knowledgeable guide and hunt some of the most turkey-rich private land in the Commonwealth. Your registration fee includes all Friday and Saturday activities for you and a guest, as well as some really nice gifts. Minimum donation to hunt: $1,000.Online Hunter Registration
Be paired with a hunter committed to the sport, and enjoy a morning of camaraderie while you showcase your skills. You're expected to be an experienced turkey hunter and caller, with good woodsmanship, and an expectation of maximizing opportunity for success. We will host a Guides' Dinner two weeks prior to the hunt, where you will obtain information you need to plan your hunt. You and a guest are invited to attend the events on Friday evening and Saturday after the hunt.Download Guide Registration Form
Virginia has lots of nooks and crannies full of gobblers. If you're a landowner with a nook or cranny to donate for a day, we've got a guide and hunter that would love to hunt your property!Download Landowner Registration Form
In 2018, we are expanding our youth engagement to sustain the hunting heritage in Virginia. We started with awarding Tyler Presley, the 2017 NWTF Turkey Calling Winner, a 2018 One Shot scholarship to participate. Are you youthful enough to be part of One Shot? Contact Jenny West.
Youth Essay Contest
What is your best hunting memory and what did you learn from it?
March 23, 2018 (midnight)
- Applicants must be between 8 and 15 years old. Must be no older than 15 at the time of the hunt (April 21, 2018).
- Essays must be 500 words or less.
- Essays will be scored by a statewide panel of outdoor writers and the Top 5 winners will be awarded complimentary hunts at the Old Dominion One Shot Turkey Hunt on April 21, 2018.
- All winners will receive a Virginia Lifetime Hunting or Fishing License.
- No DGIF or WFV immediate family or staff, or past winners, are eligible.
- Winners will be notified the week of April 2nd.
Register for the 4th Annual Old Dominion One Shot Turkey Hunt
Registration will be available soon. Leave your email below and we’ll notify you when registration opens!