The 2022 Old Dominion One Shot Turkey Hunt: Recap and Results
The 2022 Old Dominion One Shot Turkey Hunt:
- Brought together people to build a lifetime of memories and celebrate the Virginia hunting heritage and, in 2022, 34 hunters went afield on Saturday, April 23rd, guided by the best, on the most turkey rich properties, and sponsored by many companies and individuals.
- Supported industry relationships like Bass Pro Shops, Green Top Hunting and Fishing, Dance’s Sporting Goods, National Wildlife Turkey Federation, The Fallen Outdoors alongside the Wildlife Foundation of Virginia (WFV) and the Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) for planning and execution of this event.
- Focused on providing opportunities to 1st Responders, Veterans, Youth, etc.
- Raised monies to promote hunting and outdoor wildlife opportunities across the state and support the DWR/WFV Virginia Wildlife Grant Program. The Grant Program provides a funding source to non-profits, schools, and government agencies with a focus to connect youth to the outdoors. In 2021–2022, the Virginia Wildlife Grant Program awarded almost $185,000 to support 23 projects impacting thousands of kids with a focus on underserved communities.
The 2022 Results:
- Overall Winning Bird: Jamie Sigala, Wounded Warrior, US Navy, Lt. Commander
- Heaviest Bird: Shelby Haynie, Youth Essay Winner, and Guided by DWR employee Ben Lewis
- Longest Beard: Austin LaFollette, 1st Responder
- Longest Spur: Kimberly James – DWR employee, pictured here with Guide Nate Altaffer